Families and individuals partner with Habitat to build or repair a place they call home.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Habitat homeowner. We believe that everyone should have a safe, affordable place to call home.
To carry out our vision, we partner with individuals and families from application through construction to when the keys are handed over.
By working with us from beginning to end, we can help prospective individuals prepare for the various responsibilities of homeownership, including learning about personal finances, mortgages, maintenance and upkeep of homes, and much more.
Habitat’s path to homeownership is an important and in-depth process, requiring hard work, time and dedication. But this helps to ensure the long-term success of Habitat homeowners.
How to qualify for a Habitat home
Habitat homeowners must be active participants in building a better home and future for themselves and their families. Every Habitat home is an investment. For us, it is one answer to a critical need, and we believe that stronger homes will create stronger communities. As active participants in building a better future for themselves and their families, qualified Habitat homebuyers are:
- In need of better housing – Potential homebuyers might be dealing with poorly made, unhealthy or inadequate housing; unaffordable rent; or have other shelter needs.
- Willing to partner with Habitat – Habitat homebuyers but int hundreds of hours of “sweat equity” helping build their own home and the homes of others in the program. This also includes classes in personal finances, home maintenance and other homeownership topics.
- Able to pay an affordable mortgage – Homeowners must also be able and willing to pay an affordable mortgage.
Housing Application, Application Checklist, and Credit Report Release
- Application Checklist
- Credit Report Release
- Background Check Authorization
- Full Packet in Spanish
- Application in Spanish
- Application Checklist in Spanish
- Credit Report Release in Spanish
Remember we need the application checklist, and credit report release as well as the housing application to begin the process. Please help us help you by submitting ALL the paperwork. Thanks!
Can anyone apply to be a Habitat homeowner?
Yes. Habitat follows a nondiscriminatory policy of homebuyer selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor.
Contact our office for more information:
Monday thru Friday 9am – 5pm
3040 County Road 10
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Phone: (585) 396-3600