Join our team of caring professionals.
VOLUNTEER AND COMMUNITY OUTREACH COORDINATOR
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
WORK WEEK: Monday through Friday, weekend/evenings as required
EMPLOYEE STATUS : Full time, hourly
OVERVIEW: Habitat for Humanity of Ontario County (HFHOC) is seeking an outgoing, results-oriented Volunteer and Community Outreach Coordinator to manage the affiliates volunteer program and community outreach activities.
Successful Habitat for Humanity of Ontario County team members share the following characteristics:
- Passion for Habitat’s vision of a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
- Believe in a hand up, not a hand out for those working to better their future.
- Possess an “above and beyond” attitude – nobody here works just for a paycheck.
- Are creative problem solvers that work across teams.
- Embrace diversity, and promote a culture of inclusion.
- Thrive on constructive feedback and have a high level of integrity.
- Love results and hate excuses.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: The role of the Volunteer and Community Outreach Coordinator (VCOC) is to manage all aspects of Habitat’s volunteer programs while raising community awareness of what can and needs to be done to improve local housing conditions and access to affordable homes. This includes but is not limited to recruitment, training, recognition and retention of volunteers, as well as promoting Habitat’s brand and mission while cultivating partnerships with community stakeholders. In addition, this position will assist with the affiliate’s marketing efforts and assumes primary responsibility for updating and maintain the affiliate’s social media platforms.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Volunteer Engagement and Scheduling:
- Respond to all individual and group volunteer inquiries.
- Develop and implement a strategy for actively soliciting, engaging, and maintaining new volunteers.
- Interview and place volunteers for specific needs such as construction, ReStore, committees, office, outreach and special events.
- Act as liaison to campus chapters, clubs, youth groups, and other organizations seeking to align their volunteer activities with Habitat’s work.
- Manage community service volunteers from local jurisdictions.
- Recruit, train, and schedule site hosts, crew leaders & repair program leaders.
- Schedule volunteers to meet the programmatic needs of the affiliate including construction, ReStore, committee, office, events and outreach, etc.
- Coordinate volunteers for fairs, festivals, parades and other community events.
- Maintain volunteer database and keep records of volunteer activities, including numbers of teams, volunteers, number of hours worked, contact information, waivers, etc.
- Develop and implement formal and informal volunteer appreciation program.
- Prepare and maintain job descriptions for volunteer positions.
- Monitor volunteer satisfaction, and work with management and staff to create an outstanding volunteer experience.
- Oversee food, staging and related logistics for blitz builds and special projects.
- Arrange hospitality for volunteer activities as applicable.
- Ensure that volunteer liability waivers are signed annually.
- Work with Program Services Manager to plan and coordinate home dedication and groundbreaking ceremonies.
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Women Build taskforce.
- Manage AmeriCorps program for the affiliate (when applicable).
- Develop a plan to build and strengthen community relationships, including identification and cultivation of community outreach prospects.
- Raise community awareness of Habitat’s mission and its programs through speaking engagements, media, and other marketing initiatives.
- Build relationships and partner with residents, local agencies, elected officials, and community stakeholders. These partnerships will help to identify areas where Habitat’s housing program and community development solutions can intersect with the community’s identified needs.
- Set up and staff community outreach meetings and handle meeting follow-up steps/action items.
- Identify community improvement projects and work with Construction staff to plan and execute projects for successful completion. (ex. Community clean ups, community garden, little lending libraries, etc.)
- Attend meetings relevant to building an outreach program. Examples include local governance, community beautification, health and social service meetings, and resident meetings.
- Help to develop and market new outreach programs.
- Work closely with program and development staff to provide content for Habitat’s website and newsletter that communicates the ways the affiliate seeks to engage with community partners.
- Document outcomes of marketing and recruitment initiatives (reports, records, strategy memos, briefings, and agendas).
- Assist with resource development activities as needed.
- Strategically update affiliate social media (Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages) with relevant, shareable content appropriate for each particular medium; regularly engage with followers.
- Increase fans, followers, and overall community engagement – regularly evaluate responses to content as gauged by “likes,” shares, responses to appeals for volunteers or donations.
- Write, edit, and design content of e-newsletters relevant to volunteers and community outreach initiatives.
- Assist with maintenance of electronic mailing list, segmenting lists for targeted contacts, tracking responses, and seeking to increase readership/engagement.
- Provide updated content for HFHOC’s website as appropriate.
Volunteer Site Safety:
- Works with Construction Manager and ReStore Manager to create/maintain a strong safety culture on all Habitat sites through training programs and compliance for all staff and volunteers.
- Assist with mandatory reporting for any volunteer injuries that occur on Habitat sites or during off sites events supported by Habitat
- Communicates key objectives, schedules, donor and volunteer needs effectively between team members.
- Communicates accurately and in a timely manner any problems, delays, or impediments relating to volunteer programs that impact affiliate operations.
- Fosters an environment of learning and team building for all volunteers, partner families, and fellow staff members.
- Participates in meetings and maintains communication with team members leading up to events to ensure success.
- Participates in fundraising events as requested (often in the evening or on weekends).
- Formally speaks to event attendees, or to media as requested.
Partner Family Relations:
- Works closely with Program Manager and Homeowner Support Person in communicating with Partner Families about volunteer opportunities for “sweat equity”.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to manage conflict effectively.
- Enjoys working with a diverse set of individuals from all age ranges and backgrounds.
- Able to plan, schedule, coordinate, delegate and manage multiple work activities.
- Able to work some evenings/weekends as required.
- Willing to work long hours when needed.
- Reliable vehicle and willingness to travel throughout Ontario County.
- Certified in CPR/First Aid or willing to complete training within a reasonable time of hire.
- Excellent computer skills (excel, word, outlook, etc.).
- Interest, willingness, and ability to engage community members in Habitat’s mission.
- Sensitive to the low-income community.
- Bachelor’s degree with social service or communications background preferred.
- Experience in volunteer management and/or community outreach.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and solve complex problems.
- Experience working in a non-profit environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS POSITION:
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time during presentations and tabling.
- Ability to climb, bend, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to speak to a crowd of 30 or more without a microphone.
- Ability to operate a computer.
- Ability to operate and speak on a regular desk phone.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time at a desk/in front of a computer.
- Ability to drive a pickup truck or construction van.
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
Habitat for Humanity of Ontario County, New York is an equal opportunity employer and substance free workplace.